Who is responsible for making application for the permit?

Application for a permit is required to be made by the owner or lessee or their agent of the building (e.g.; the HIC registrant ). If application is made other than by the owner, written authorization of the owner must accompany the application. Such written authorization shall be signed by the owner and shall include a statement of ownership and shall identify the owner’s authorized agent, or shall grant permission to the lessee to apply for the permit. The full names and addresses of the owner, lessee, applicant and the responsible officers, if the owner or lessee is a corporate body, shall be stated in the application.

Additional Information

It is the responsibility of the registered HIC to obtain all permits necessary for work covered by the Home Improvement Contractor Registration Law, M.G.L. c. 142A. An owner who secures his or her own permits for such shall be excluded from the guaranty fund provisions as defined in M.G.L. c. 142A.

Show All Answers

1. For which projects are building permits required?
2. Does the Building Code define minimum requirements for building plan submissions?
3. What is Home Improvement Contractors (HIC)?
4. What is the difference between a HIC and a CSL Contractor?
5. Why should I hire a registered home improvement contractor?
6. What if my Home Improvement; Contractor does not have a Construction Supervisor’s License, and my project requires a CSL license?
7. I am having my roof replaced or replacement windows or siding work done. Will I need both a registered Home Improvement Contractor and a Construction Supervisor’s Licensee?
8. If I am building a new home (new construction), will I need a Home Improvement Contractor?
9. What is a Building Permit?
10. Are permit inspections and final inspections from the Local Building Departments required?
11. Who is responsible for making application for the permit?
12. My contractor told me I need to obtain the permits for my construction. May I obtain the relevant permits from my local building department, or is the contractor required to do that?
13. What if I choose to do the work or hire unlicensed, unregistered persons?
14. What if my registered Home Improvement Contractor does not have a Construction Supervisor’s License, and the project requires a CSL holder, what do I do?
15. Do you need a Construction Supervisor’s License and a Home Improvement Registration to construct an addition to an existing home?